Sunday, April 1, 2012

»
»
»Mostly about food

Mostly about food

First of all, I need to update you on my first web design job. My friend Denise has been a part of my life since our senior year in high school. We lost touch for almost 20 years while she was getting married and having babies and I was not. But she found me on Whidbey and we have been talking hard to fill in that 20 years plus the 20 we've been reconnected and, hopefully, 20 more. She has finally become the writer that she was meant to become and I got to showcase it in a website.

I'm going to be showing you more of what I've been working on soon. It's getting really exciting around.

Now onto food:
I've been making a lot of changes in the past three weeks. The exercise is ongoing, although reined in a bit because I did end up taking it a bit too fast. I was surprised that the injury (mild) happened, because I am usually overly cautious about taking on something new too strenuously. I am very happy with how the mild exercise for 10-20 minutes an hour after I eat has been lowering my glucose readings two hours after a meal. And I've gotten great information here (this is a very deep and well researched site) and here (worth looking at because of the blog banner heading it all -- oh, and for the content).

I was surprised the most by the realization that we weren't eating enough vegetables. We eat a lot of vegetables, but not 10-12 1/2-cup servings daily.* So. How to get in more vegetables? I started at breakfast. We eat a lot of eggs, 2 each 3-4 mornings a week. I have begun making frittata (this one with spinach, zucchini, and peppers. I do use cheese, but use a small amount of sharp cheese -- goat feta and sheep romano here -- for flavor rather than lots of easily melting, gooey, milder cheese for the orgasm of cheesieness).

Another breakfast option is a version of piperade. I saute a lot of onions, red and green peppers, garlic, and tomatoes with a lot of herbs and hot chilies and serve it on top of over-easy eggs.

Another change I've made is that rather than make the stir-fries of a small amount of meat and a large number of vegetables and serve it over rice or pasta, I now serve it over vegetable. For instance, I had a saute of chicken (one thigh between the two of us), peppers, onions, broccoli, and mushrooms and served it over grilled portobellos. And a large green salad besides.

And lastly, I'm learning that fruit for afters is very satisfying. OMG! WHO'D A THOUGHT IT! Yes, it turns out that They were right all along. I do have my medicinal chocolate now and again, but right now as the berries and soft fruits are coming into season -- and I'm trying to keep my fruits and vegetable consumption seasonal -- is a great time to ease into this habit.

*Paleolithic diet contained about 10-12 portions of produce per day, with a portion being around a half cup.